Its mother’s day weekend so what better time to spend some time focusing on you. For all you mothers out there (moms, step moms, mother figures, grandmothers, dog mothers…), make sure you take some time to reflect on you and talk about self-care…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you purchase through them.
Let’s talk about self-care…this is an important part of finding your life balance. No matter what occupation, or if you are still in school, our lives are so busy that many times we put ourselves on the backburner and don’t take care of what is important.
You might be thinking that you do a pretty good job with self-car, but just think about it for a moment. Do you put your kids needs before you? Your significant other? Your dog? Your business? Your job? What other things do you rank before yourself. It’s okay to put things that are important first, but not at the expense of your own health.
No matter who you place first before you, it is important (and not selfish) to prioritize taking care of yourself. When your physical and mental state are exhausted, everything else will suffer- and these are the most important assets that you have to be a well balanced person. Without them, you won’t be able to care for others or yourself and be that amazing woman that you are.
So when you think of self-care, what comes to mind? A spa day? A day alone? Self-care is more than just that. Appropriate self-care is doing smaller, more subtle self-care habits and practices that you can incorporate into your daily life that will have a huge and positive impact on how you feel. By taking more time and effort to care for you, you will feel happier, reset you anxiety and stress levels, recharge and be more productive. Most importantly, your life will change for the better!
10 Mindful Self-Care Habits
- Write in a journal on a daily basis. If you need to release pent-up emotion or anger built up within you or you’re seeking clarity from a confusing or unhappy situation, writing all of your thoughts down can be magical and therapeutic. I love these “Be Yourself” Journals from Oh Studio!
- Take time off. Hustling and working hard to reach your goals is really important but if you’re constantly burnt out, tired, and feel like you have no motivation and your passion now is turning into a dreadful time, it’s a signal that it’s time for you to take some time off. Taking time off to recharge is not only great to help you feel more physically refreshed but it can also help transform your mindset so that you feel motivated and excited to hit the ground running again. If taking time off means taking a 2-3 week long trip to travel the world and be in a new surrounding or just an afternoon off to spend time with family, your pets, or friends, do what feels right for you.
- Read self-help books. Our productivity and the way we look at the world all starts from within. We all can gain a little something from a positive self-help book from time to time and this is especially true if you’re going through a tough time in life and you need some guidance or perspective on life. Check out this one….“You are a Bad$#@, How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life”.Reading self-help books are a great way to motivate you, bring some positivity into your life, and lift your spirits when you’re lost or down. I love reading
- See the positive side of things. Our world is a really negative place nowadays and constantly surrounding ourselves with it can put a huge damper on your mood and how you see the world. Train your mind to see the positive side of things, that the cup is not half empty but half full, and focus on the good instead of the bad. Learn to live an attitude of gratitude and you’ll be much happier and attract positivity into your life. Try the Kindness Challenge today!
Related: 5-Day Kindness Challenge
- Find some quiet time. Sometimes our lives are so busy that we don’t get any quiet time to ourselves to recharge with no distractions. Whether you draw a nice hot bubble bath, sit down to paint, or fill out a therapeutic adulting coloring book (that’s right – coloring books aren’t just for kids! I love this one! ), take some time out of the day every day (say for an hour or so) to just make it all about you. Silence your phone and learn to enjoy your own company and your own thoughts or try to wake up at little earlier to get some alone time! Related: The Benefits of Waking Up Early Each Day!
- Immerse yourself in nature. Sometimes all we need to do to reset our minds and energy is to surround ourselves with nature. Take a hike or go biking in a conservation area or ravine if you’re near one and take in the sights and sounds of nature.
- Positive self-talk. A lot of times, you are your own worst critic. That little voice at the back of your head can get real nasty. You might notice that you unintentionally talk down to yourself by telling yourself you can’t do something. Or you might say negative things to yourself that you would never say to anyone else if they were you. Or maybe you always criticize minuscule details about yourself that other people don’t even notice. Stop feeding yourself negativity! Instead, train yourself to have greater self-esteem, more confidence, and put yourself in a positive mindset by repeating positive statements about yourself in front of the mirror every morning. Even if you don’t believe these statements at first, eventually you’ll start to believe them!
- Meditate. Meditation is such a great way to refocus your thoughts and reset your mind. Close your eyes and take some time to focus on breathing deeply.
- Write down positive compliments from others. Do you have those days where you feel down, unmotivated, or just plain awful about yourself? I know we girls all have those days from time to time where we feel insecure or unworthy! For those days where you don’t feel great about yourself, start a habit where every time you get a positive compliment from someone, write it down in a notebook! And whenever you start experiencing one of those days where you’re down, take a look at that list of positive compliments that you’ve accumulated. Those are genuine compliments that other people have given you and are a great reminder on days where you need a pick-me-up that you’re awesome and worthy! Pick up some cute post-it notes to remind you of how awesome you are!
- Hang out with positive people. We are who we surround ourselves with so take some time to figure out who is actually truly worthy of your time. Find people to spend time with who inspire you to be the best version of yourself and are just positive people overall! If you don’t feel the positive energy from them or you always feel down and unhappy when they’re around, it might be beneficial to you to reduce the amount of time you spend with them and find other people who are more like-minded.
Now that you have a few ideas of what self-care can look like for you, try to commit to doing one or two this week. Successful life balance depends on many factors. Make yourself one of those factors. When you are doing great, everyone around you will benefit. Related: 11 Habits of Successful Women
What are some self-care habits and practices that you regularly incorporate into your daily life? Let me know in the comments below!
Free Resources & Tools
GRAB A CUP & BROWSE OUR FREE PRINTABLE TOOLS & RESOURCES